The National Association of Professional Background Screeners “NAPBS” issued tops for screening job candidates in 2013 to help employers begin to plan business strategies for the upcoming year.
Business owners, human resources departments, government agencies and nonprofits across the national successfully partner with professional background screening companies to conduct their pre-employment background checks. These companies help find the most qualified employees and help play an important role in helping employers meet their legal responsibilities.
NAPBS and its members are committed to ensuring the highest degree of accuracy and professionalism when it comes to background checks. NAPBS offers the following best practices to benefit employers and job seekers who are planning for 2013:
· Be Complete: Conduct a comprehensive background search to avoid negligent hiring. Relying on partial information or information that may be out of date can be as risky as not conducting a background check at all
· Be Efficient: Time is a precious commodity especially for recruiters. Look for ways to utilize technology to help create efficiencies. Talk with your background screening provider about ways to improve your process to save you money and time.
· Be Thorough: As an employer, you have certain responsibilities under the law. Make sure all background screening practices meet federal and state regulations as well as industry requirements. Be mindful of the new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission criminal guidelines and the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
· Be Analytical: Consider job responsibilities when screening candidates. Go beyond basic background information and assess job relatedness and business necessity.
· Be Consistent: Develop a method for a targeted level of screening for each open job position to align with business needs and job relatedness.